A New Beginning.... | Sew Simple Home
Textual description of firstImageUrl

A New Beginning....

The inspiration for this blog came from my sister and her dear friend (although they don't know it yet). They were trying to come up with a Relief Society theme for the year and someone jokingly suggested "Get Your Crap Together". (No, they didn't end up using this theme.) But I thought Wow! That is my kind of theme. Sometimes, especially lately, that is exactly how I've been feeling! I just need to get my crap together!! Do you feel that way? If your not sure what the symptoms are for this plague, I'll list them below...


...you seem to have misplaced your brain,
you can never remember what day of the week it is,
your not sure where your cell phone is at any given moment even when you know people are trying to call,
you stay up late just to wake up early,
the laundry is clean just not put away, your house is a constant disaster,
don't even bring up the yard, you have a pile of unfinished projects and it keeps getting higher,
your tired, your hungry, you want a nap,
you wish you could spend more time with your family, you watch to much TV, you have a mountain of books you've begun and not finished, you still haven't put the clean laundry away,
you need to exercise, you need to pinch your pennies a bit more, you wish you were younger, thinner, healthier, maybe even happier, and well, you still have a pile of LAUNDRY (although it is folded now)


...If any of these symptoms ring a bell come jump on the bandwagon! My last few years have been wonderful but I am seriously in need of a kick in the pants and chance to reorganize my life. So if you wish to journey with me...please come along for a ride. I can always use a friend, some advice, a good kick in the pants! Over the next year I plan to get my life back running smooth(er).


My Goals:

Time Management: Create a family calendar and have a personal daily planner (that I actually use), schedule in LAUNDRY

(This is an actual picture of my family calendar. I know, it looks a lot like my fridge. But if you look closely underneath the "I Like Milk" magnet...you'll see a bunch of papers, those are my "appointment" reminders. Yeah...I know.)
Organization: Organize our office space and my sewing/craft area, organize our closet and our pantry, create a Household Inventory list in case of fire, DO THE LAUNDRY, put everything back when I'm done and train the family to do the same, finish husbands scrapbook
This is the office. Scary. No wonder I haven't tackled it yet, right?!
Finances: Create a budget that is realistic and stick to it, sit down as a family and discuss long term and short term goals including vacations, large purchases, and fun activities

Food and Health: Create a monthly/weekly menu of healthy, nutritious meals; make freezer meals regularly; exercise at least 3-4 times a week (with family if possible); floss (I don't do this, my husband gets a bit upset that I don't. He is an avid flosser)

Education: Finish the books I've started before starting another, take time to read to/with family

Yard: Weed flower beds at least once every two weeks (I know that sounds lousy, but I'm luck to get 30 minutes outside before I have to come in to a crying baby)

Spiritual: Attend church as a family regularly, FHE!! (we are terrible about this one, I can always use suggestions), read from the scriptures daily, pray as a family and on my own

Service: Find time to serve others (put it on the calendar), make quilts, newborn kits, send gifts/coupons etc. to the troops



So I have one year from today to achieve my goals. I will try to post every Monday, Wednesday and Friday on my progress and what secrets to staying organized I've come across. I don't know what my reward should be when I achieve my goals, but I'll come up with something good. If you have any suggests please share them. I can always use a good kick in the pants. If you're with me...come on let's "Get OUR Crap Together".

15 comments

  1. Oh, I love it! The laundry saga happens over here also. I seriously don't mind doing the laundry but I HATE putting it away. Why is that? Hate to add to the list of things to do- but maybe you should add (only if you want to) food storage. Or maybe you have a handle on that. It always seems to be in the back of my mind but I never do "enough"about it. I'll have to keep my eye out for good tips, blogs, ideas that I can send your way. Good Luck!!! Ps- I don't really use all of it- but sometimes when I forget how to clean or organize things I use flylady.net. just for an idea of what I could do to clean things up. Its a pretty big program that seems too involved for me- but sometimes I need to be reminded that my refrigerator needs to be cleaned- I go there for ideas. Okay. Until next week! Could you please go get your crap together!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirk is just like James when it comes to flossing!! I think your prize should be a trip to Disneyland!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea, this is awesome...
    I would love to get my crap together, but I don't think I can even think about it for the next 20 years. Having a 2 year old has made everything worse for me. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew it! I AM your inspiration! Well, at least, theme-wise. Not having my own crap together isn't so inspirational, but I'm working on it too! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! and by the Way...for FHE I have a FHE in a jar that I can e-mail to you. If you didn't have time to plan a lesson you reach in the jar pull out a strip of paper and it has a song, scripture and discussion topic. It's been a life saver more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looovin' the blog - and thanks for putting up my button. I agree, it's time we get our crap together. I love Sheri Dew's quote, "We no longer have the luxury of spending our energy on anything that won't help our family get back" or something like that. My office is a disaster and my garage is embarrassing, and I only floss after I eat corn on the cob, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the love everyone! And for all the tips and advice! I'm excited that we all need to get our crap together! Keep it coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ummm, no advice as of yet for how to be organized except that your brain NEVER comes back after children! (I guess that is why you need to be organized eh?!) And, newborns are cute and need to be loved so let your house go to pot a little and love that little guy a lot!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I still join, even if I don't have crap? I'm hoping that last sentence will encourage some self-fulfilling prophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at you go!!! I thought you already have all your crap together :) Being organized is tough for the first 6 months, it seems like they take over and you lose your place, which is okay for a while. Don't worry, it will come right back to ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I meant to say, in my post earlier, that the first 6 months of having a new baby around makes it tough to be organized. (I knew what I was talking about!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chelsea, I knew I was not the only one with similar problems, and of course goals. I had these goals in mind before I turned 30, that came and went, and more than a year later I'm still waiting to get my crap together,, lol,,, I LOVE your blog name. It's simply perfect, and I looked around quite a bit, and really think we have tons in common. I look forward to reading more of your posts, and cheering your efforts on. You go girl!!!

    I would appreciate any feedback you may have for me, as I am VERY new to blogging, and funny enough my first post, was of my very messy house. Reminds me of some of the pics you had up. lol.

    Hope to hear from you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just came across your blog tonight and am happy to have found it so early in your journey. I'm with you on all of the above - and more!

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um, how did you sneak into my house and take pictures and then completely and accurately describe my life in your blog? No seriously, I want to know.

    It was kinda freaky reading this post, as I am seriously IN THAT PLACE right. now. Oi! I guess I need to check out your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh no - looks like my place too! Mopping or blogging, cleaning the windows or sewing, cooking or a quick microwave meal? I think too often I make the second choice every time. But hey - I'm happy. And if you come over, I'll quickly put all the junk in one room and close the door.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!